Yukkuri Countdown JAPAN
Sunday, January 30, 2005
 Left pocket's Bulgogi

First, an afternoon snack...

corn flake treat
I had an old bag of marshmallows that my mom had sent me along with other goodies awhile back. I don't know why she sent them; I didn't ask for any and in fact I think I was still not eating gelatin at the time. Recently I dug out the marshmallows (probably to stuff in my face in a fit of snackiness) but found that the marshmallows were dry and shrivelly! Perhaps inspired by monkey, I decided I wanted to make rice crispy treats. There are no Rice Krispies in Japan, not even imitations or similar Japanese versions. Left pocket requested corn flakes as the substitute so I found a Japanese brand of corn flakes on sale. Amazingly the bag measured out to 5.5cups, exactly what the recipe on the marshmallow bag called for! During a "when I was little..." moment I told Left pocket I could never stand waiting for the treats to cool completely; he told me he only ate his treats warm and I wondered why I always felt the need to wait until the treats cooled before eating some! This time, as you can see, I didn't wait for them to cool in a rectangular pan and I didn't cut them up with a knife; I didn't even make them into little balls but instead I pulled chunks apart to immediately eat/store. My question is this: why do rice crispy treats sometimes get really really hard, like rock hard, when they cool? I think it happens if they are exposed to air because I somewhat sealed my extra in a plastic tubby thing and it didn't turn into rock this time.


Left pocket's bulgogi
This was dinner. All I had to do was make rice and cut broccoli! Left pocket made his tasty bulgogi. Bul means fire/flame and gogi means meat in Korean. The onions were nice and sweet with a slight crunch, qualities which perfectly complemented the salty kimchi and sorta mushy broccoli (it got neglected in the steamer). The beef was extra tender this time probably because it was marinated overnight with all the little Coke bubblyfingers. Does leek also have acidic tenderizing effects? You might not be able to see any but there were slivers of leek in the bulgogi.
 
Comments:
did I ever bring any home? sharon makes green food-coloring wreaths at Christmastime out of cornflakes with a few red cinnamon red hots for accents!
 
I'm not sure if you ever brought any of Sharon's home but I've seen that sort of idea. Moms in elementary school always did that!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Seize the food, for Japan is time-service only! In other words, this blog is to preserve, share, and make the most of my six months left living in Japan. Yes, I am obsessed with food. Cheap food!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tokyo/Saitama, Japan

Life is short so I eat fast, lest it get cold or disappear. I'm currently teaching English in Japan for two years. I was born and raised in California, and will be returning there in Summer 2005. I was ovo-lacto-vegetarian for about seven years but decided to let it go during second year in Japan!


Latest Posts
HAIBISUKASU bento
Fumiyo's Cafeteria Tour
Japanese vs. Western
Chicken is an Animal
Eating with the VPs

ARCHIVES
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger best counter