Yukkuri Countdown JAPAN
Monday, February 07, 2005
 Sansai for Sensei



Sansai udon
I finally got to taste it, visit school's cafeteria sansai udon. Like the tempura udon, it's only 230yen. It was indeed oishii, as Fumiyo had insisted.

Does it look good? Sansai means mountain vegetable and refers to the topping that looks like brown and green stems and ferns (the other toppings are wakame, green onions and a slice of kamaboko). The only thing I can surely name in the mix is bamboo. The sansai are pickled somehow. I saw the lunch lady just take chopsticks and grab a bunch of it from a container to put atop my udon. They may not appear incredibly appetizing but they are crunchy and flavorful and best of all, not fried! To tell the truth, up until I had them on this udon I never liked sansai. Now I know how yummy they can be!

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Seize the food, for Japan is time-service only! In other words, this blog is to preserve, share, and make the most of my six months left living in Japan. Yes, I am obsessed with food. Cheap food!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tokyo/Saitama, Japan

Life is short so I eat fast, lest it get cold or disappear. I'm currently teaching English in Japan for two years. I was born and raised in California, and will be returning there in Summer 2005. I was ovo-lacto-vegetarian for about seven years but decided to let it go during second year in Japan!


Latest Posts
Vegetarian Sushi Exists
On a Bread Roll
Inside Ootoya
Eating in Circles
Today was Setsubun
Hard Work and Rewards
Big Lunch
Good and Bad
Left pocket's Bulgogi
HAIBISUKASU bento

ARCHIVES
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger best counter