Yukkuri Countdown JAPAN
Friday, March 25, 2005
 (3/7) Shinjuku Night

After the Studio Ghibli museum we went to check out Shinjuku.


We tried dinner at a Ginza Lion restaurant building that had several floors with themed foods. Seeing plastic foods that looked good, we went to the floor that was the beer floor. I got this bibimbap. It had lots of flavorful stuff in it and a good amount of very soft beef. It was okay.


There's nothing like Shinjuku at night.


We spotted a nice shiny bright Mister Donut on the corner and decided to have some for dessert.

For a long time I assumed Mister Donut was a Japanese creation because their donuts are smaller and more Japanese (ie. tofu donuts..) than donuts I was used to, however, I recently heard Mister Donut was from America.


Reading this window gave me the final answer. Good ol' San Francisco Chinatown!


Doesn't it look like Homer Simpson? The top two donuts were my brother's and the pon-de-ring was mine. I was pleasantly surprised, it was uniquely chewy; soft as Krispy Kreme but more substantial and not as sickly sweet. Mine was also only 105yen.

We had to get home before the trains stopped running but even after the last train, guess who is open...


My 24-hour friend, Yoshinoya! It was a long night so here is my second dinner, sauce katsu-don. It cost 400-something yen and was, well, Yoshinoya-quality.

 
Comments:
I do love Shinjuku at nite too.. :) so colorful..!! so bright..!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Seize the food, for Japan is time-service only! In other words, this blog is to preserve, share, and make the most of my six months left living in Japan. Yes, I am obsessed with food. Cheap food!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tokyo/Saitama, Japan

Life is short so I eat fast, lest it get cold or disappear. I'm currently teaching English in Japan for two years. I was born and raised in California, and will be returning there in Summer 2005. I was ovo-lacto-vegetarian for about seven years but decided to let it go during second year in Japan!


Latest Posts
Your Recommendations
(3/7) Studio Ghibli Museum
(3/6) The Mall
(3/5) Treating Ourselves to Premium Tonkatsu
Spend Spend Spend
Hanko
Ootoya does not disappoint.
Vegetable Croquette Sandwich
500yen to replace my hanko
B(ack-)logged

ARCHIVES
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger best counter